18. August 2016

The Faith of a Canaanite Woman

Leaving that place, Jesus withdrew to the region of Tyre and Sidon. A Canaanite woman from that vicinity came to him, crying out, “Lord, Son of David, have mercy on me! My daughter is demon-possessed and suffering terribly.”
Jesus did not answer a word. So his disciples came to him and urged him, “Send her away, for she keeps crying out after us.” He answered, “I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel.” The woman came and knelt before him. “Lord, help me!” she said. He replied, “It is not right to take the children’s bread and toss it to the dogs.” “Yes it is, Lord,” she said. “Even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their master’s table.” Then Jesus said to her, “Woman, you have great faith! Your request is granted.” And her daughter was healed at that moment.
Jiri's paper can be read in the side bar on the right. I would be happy if you would let me share in your discussions on the blog via comments.

2 Kommentare:

  1. Jiri, thank you for this wonderful paper! And, Tamara, thank you for translating it! Yes, I agree that it would have been good to hear and discuss it at the conference, but now we have even more time to read and reflect on it.

    It was fascinating to read it, and let the various words and themes speak to my heart. Already almost a year ago I did an in-depth study of this story (in Mark 7:24-30) in preparation for a sermon that I preached in the Latvian Lutheran Church in Washington, DC. I remember my anxiety about presenting Jesus that did not fit with our usual picture of helpful and merciful Saviour.

    I remember that at that time I was really struck by the realization how much even Jesus was influence by the culture he lived in. Initially, it was a great surprise, but eventually it grew into a comforting awareness that Jesus really and truly became one of us, and experienced also the consequences of living in a specific culture with all its fears and prejudices.

    One word/thought that really spoke to me as I was reading Jiri's paper was "enough" - there is enough for us and them. In the recent years I have heard and read Brene Brown, who talks about "the culture of scarcity", where there is never enough (and we are not enough). And she points out that the solution is not abundance, but the mindset of being enough and having enough for all.

    And the final thought on opening up to learn from the 'other', the 'enemy', the 'stranger'. In a certain sense, Jesus had to learn from this Cannanite woman, and a year ago it seemed already like something to take in and ponder. But a few months ago I was in a situation where somebody had deeply hurt me, and later this same person offered me a valuable insight/advice. I had to ask myself, how ready and open I am to learn from those who are different? This story of Jesus and the Cannanite woman reminds me that it can be hard... even for the Son of God.

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. Hi Andreta,
    thank you for your comment. I felt a little like that myself when i started reading the paper. Inner protest against a Jesus who was not the perfect ideal, alsways kind and gentle. But indeed, as he became truely human, he would have known exhaustion. The big difference is that he did change his mind, when he was faced with a woman's suffering. And like him, we are really free to change. Thank you also for sharing your personal experience, yes, changing ones mind, one heart is really tough when we have to overcome prejudice or even personal injury, but it is worth the struggle. i hope i remember that next time i am in such a situation.
    Greetings
    Tamara

    AntwortenLöschen

Hier können Sie meinen Eintrag kommentieren. You can leave your comments here.